A Spring Adventure with an Indian Made.

The Ride.

The first of September and spring had sprung. The time of beginning was upon us. How appropriate I thought as I rolled the ‘Little Red One’ out of the garage. The weather was glorious so all the plans were falling into place and it was becoming time to lose oneself with some mates on a day ride. The plan was simple, meet the mates at Dural in the ‘House of Scottish Decent’, and head out to Wiseman’s Ferry with morning tea at Spencer then onto Cessnock via Wollumbi. The return via Freeman’s Waterhole and then part company after the final stop at the ‘Pie in the Sky’. This would allow my new acquaintance and I to sample a variety of roads and put test into this road test.
I must say upfront, a ‘Little Red One’ will find you new friends when you least expect it. When riding home from the ‘Little Red One’s Sydney residence, Motociclo at St Peters the evening before, I had stopped in traffic and a V-Rod rider pulled up next to me for a quick chat, it was revealed his mate has a Bullet. On my way to the meeting point and waiting for the lights to change, a cyclist who had stopped next to me decided he would have a chat about old motorcycles. I was beginning to worry my day would be spent chatting to everyone about what I was riding instead of actually riding.
The first part of the test was unplanned, stop-start city traffic. The ‘Little Red One’ just pop popped along and was always ahead of the traffic. At Dural we gathered with a mixture of mounts. A Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic, a K100RS Beemer and a 400 cc MP3 scooter. One of the first questions asked was when the ‘Little Red One’ had been built, when I replied June or July, the puzzled look lead me to have yet another conversation about the ‘Little Red One’ this time about looking old but being brand new.
Off we travelled to Wiseman’s Ferry and the ‘Little Red One’ was happily pop, pop, popping along until I looked down at the Speedo and discovered we were popping along at 80 in a 60 zone. It was all so easy. At Wiseman’s Ferry it was a short wait for the ferry, then onto to Spencer. The ‘Little Red One’ was in its element and I was discovering why people were talking to me, I was constantly smiling.
A regroup and coffee stop at Spencer with a quick photo opportunity. From there we climbed to Central Mangrove. The ‘Little Red One’ took off and led the way; we even overtook a car on a hill. A left turn to Wollumbi and some tricky corners. Here I swapped with a mate to get some second opinions. He reported the suspension was a little soft (He is also no light weight), the brakes a little weak and he found a false neutral going into a corner. Apart from that he had had a good time with the ‘Little Red One’.
I doubt the paintwork will ever match the background.

Who else came for the ride?

She doesn't look that small from this angle.

In days gone by, that lever was the gear lever not the brake.

So shiny even on the dirt.

Not as big as a Harley primary case but just as shiny.

 If you are looking for the Hub of the Universe, the sign says you are there when in Spencer NSW.
The road from Wollumbi to Cessnock was magic as the ‘Little Red One’ just sang its popping song at the speed limit. I found this song quiet pleasant and the smile had returned with a vengeance.
Cessnock was replenishment time, food and drink for me and the ‘Little Red One’ consumed 6.27 litres for the 185.8 kilometres we'd travelled. I’ll let you do the maths.
Time to return home and there was interesting challenge ahead. After the casual ride up to and past Freeman’s Waterhole, we entered the freeway. 110 kilometres was reached and there we sat but it wasn't as comfortable as on the backroads where we’d sat between 80 and 100 kph. We just seemed to be working, any quicker and the ‘Little Red One’ would start to gently shake its front end and remind my not to speed. I have to admit I was concerned about the climbs after Ourimbah and Mooney Mooney Bridge. These concerns were put to rest as we passed the trucks on both and reached the summits triumphant.
Down to the Hawkesbury River on the freeway as the old road from Mt White to the Hawkesbury is only for the brave and foolhardy or those enjoying life looking only at 60 on the Speedo as a moment’s lapse with have you in conversation with the constabulary. The Old Road south of the Hawkesbury River has kept its appropriate speeds and the twists and turns had, I felt, the ‘Little Red One’ regaining its composure especially when we dispatched the Harley to the same fate as the trucks on the freeway. Coffee and fruit pie at the ‘Pie in The Sky’ then we went our separate ways.
Prior to returning the ‘Little Red One’ to Motociclo. I once more filled the tank; this time 8.58 litres and the distance covered 224 kilometres (3.83 litres per 100 kilometres or 73.75 miles per gallon).

The ‘Little Red One’s details:

She is a Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5, though I refer to her as red, she was actually red and white; they also come in black with white or green? with white.
They have an air cooled single cylinder 499 cc (84 mm x 90 mm) four stroke engine, producing 41 Nm @ 4000 rpm.
Weighing in at 187 kgs.
New to the breed and what makes ownership now so much easier are:
Electronic Ignition.
Electronic Fuel Injection.
Unit construction with automatic Primary Chain Adjuster.
Hydraulic lifters.
The transmission is 5 speed and chain drive to the back wheel.
Braking is handled by a single 280 mm Disc up front and a 152mm drum bringing up the rear.
Tyres are Avon with the front being 90x90-18"-51V and rear 110x80x18"-58V.
The bike comes as a solo with a pillion seat option now available.
The price as at 17Oct13: $8195 plus on road charges.
There is a cheaper Royal Enfield Bullet Electra Deluxe G5 EFI at $7795 plus on road charges which has a dual seat, slightly different looking engine with a kick starter as well as the starter button, different tyres (19inch front and back) and any colour, so long as its Chrome and Black. The chrome matches the mudguards. The style is to me more 60's.
There are 2 other models Bullet B5 at $7795 plus on road charges and Classic C5 Chrome $8495 plus on road charges

Let's review.

To me, the Bullet is a comfortable cruising bike for discovering the back roads. Although it can travel at freeway speeds it's not in its element. But cruising is not about taking freeways to get somewhere it's about discovery the other roads.
I did hit some false neutrals but I do not think it was always the bike’s fault.
The sprung seat had me concerned before riding as with me aboard, it was going to be taking a fair load (Over 120 kgs). The only time I really felt the seat was sprung was when changing form first to second at speed? I felt I was back at palates on the big ball; it was never unsafe, just different.  I think the seat is a personal choice and it is part of the Post War II styling.
The paintwork and pin striping had one person comment of the excellent restoration job, which says to me how good it is and looks.
The brakes always worked and are the equal to the performance of the bike and the style of riding to which it is intended. The back brake would hold it on a hill but you will not lock it up at speed.
The engine looks the part and the sound is classical. It was suggested a louder pipe would be better but to me, there is nothing wrong with the original. The bike is almost asking to be personalised and as the accessory lists grow this becomes even simpler to do.
What I didn’t like were the mirrors as I had great views of my elbows but I am sure an owner would be able correct this.
Would I buy one? My ‘regular ride’, an old Kawasaki 1000 gtr just does what I ask of it, it eats miles and does the general duties well but it is heavy and it likes to get up an run. If I were looking for a second bike to go out for a coffee or a day ride on the outskirts of Sydney, the Royal Enfield would work well as it sits on the speed limits and it just pops along at a relaxing pace. You could even ride with your Harley mates as the Royal Enfield is just different and has a genuine history.  The initial outlay puts it into the territory of faster, more powerful bikes but ownership is more than the entry price. The previous engines needed attention with checking the points and carbies but with these new engines it’s really just an oil change, filter and a general look over. Servicing is definitely not going to break the bank.
So if you are considering something different, with its own history, is light, easy to maintain and costs little to run. Have a look and a ride on the new Bullets and see how you come away. You most likely find your day was spent talking to strangers about the bike and you'll have a smile that will last well after the ride is over.
The bike was supplied by:
Motociclo.
95-97 Princes Highway St. Peters NSW 2044.
Telephone 02 9557 7234
Webpage www.motociclo.com.au 
When you visit, say hello to John and Nicole and check out the items of apparel and memorabilia on offer, I am sure you will go home with something.

Comments