Product Test of the Viking Sport Seat Tail Bag from Motorcycle House

I was asked to do a product test on some motorcycle luggage made by Viking Bags and distributed by Motorcycle House who have offices in the USA and Australia.
The bag I was sent was the Viking Sport Seat Tail Bag. I have used the combine term of Seat and Tail as it is shown on the Motorcycle House website as Viking Sport Seat Bag and Viking Sport Tail Bag, the bags appear to be the same bag.
Out of the box and time to check it out.
My immediate thought was, here is a replacement for my backpack in which I carry those things I like to have with me on a ride. First Aid Kit, wet weather pants, waterproof gloves, visor / glasses cleaner and cloth, waterless hand cleaner, tissues, sunscreen, lip balm, food bar, water and a floro orange bag.
Time to retire the back pack.
With my backpack, the main problems were, discomfort after just a day's riding as my shoulders would ache and it had also caused irritation to my neck.
The other problem was my concern of, what if I fell off? Would the bag jag on something or would something within the backpack do some damage to me. 

If I were riding one of my motorcycles I would carry the backpack in one of the panniers but I am not always riding my own motorcycles. With the Viking Sport Seat Tail Bag I just move the packed bag from motorcycle cycle and with the mounting system (bungee cords) this is very easy.
The bag's dimensions are: 21.59 cm x 40.64 cm x 22.86 cm / 8.5" x 16" x 9"
Lid Opening:  22.86 cm x 22.86 cm / 9" x 9"
Storage Capacity: 20057.77 cc / 1224 Cubic Inches

Top view
Comfortable carry handle can be seen.
This forms a comfortable rider backrest when the bag is seat mounted
The firmer out pad which I prefer to use.
The pad is removable and you can see the mounting cords.
Easy access through the lid which has handy pockets.

I have expanded the bag and you can see the bag is lined.
This is how the bag looks when expanded. Handy when you need it.
There is also a shoulder strap making it easier to carry the bag around when you do not want to leave it on the motorcycle. I store the shoulder strap in the zipped side pocket so it is easy to get to.
The bag is water resistant being made of heavy duty Cardura but to offer better waterproofing, a cover is supplied. This I keep in the other zipped side pocket.


Picked and ready to close up and load onto the motorcycle.

Viking Sport Seat Tail Bag is packed zipped and ready to load.
It's an easy fit onto the Royal Enfield Himalayan
 The Royal Enfield Himalayan's rack is only rated at 5 kgs / 11 lbs. The bag, as I have packed it is just under and so it's great as a day ride bag or supplementary to my our luggage.

With the built-in bungy cords, the bag is easy to mount onto the motorcycles
The bag can sit on the rake or pillion seat.

Hard bags or lightweight seat tail bag.
We arrived at the turn around point of our day ride.
Now to get my wallet and phone. Too easy.
So the conclusion. This size bag was something I had never considered as I always thought I needed a big bag to carry my stuff but the Viking Sport Seat Tail Bag has proved, with a little thought and planning a convenient sized bag that works. With this bag I know when I next ride a non panniered motorcycle, I can still take my stuff safely and comfortably with me.

I have made a video of from the box to the Harley. You will find it at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhVl2ZWuzXs

For more information:
Motorcycle House Australia  https://www.motorcyclehouse.com.au
Ride The World Australia http://ridetheworld.com.au/

Thank you for reading my story I hope you find it helpful.

Comments